It’s likely you’ve heard about this salad. But if you haven’t, we’ll catch you up. That’s what friends are for! And the emphasis is on the word “friends” there. This salad is inspired by the salad that Jennifer Aniston ate every day for 10 years. You read that right. Every day for 10 years. While we can’t verify if this is completely true, the point is…Jen loved the salad. If it was good enough for her to eat for a decade, we figured it was good enough for us to just try it! We couldn't be happier that we did. A few tips and substitutions because this salad is oh so versatile. It’s as down to earth as Jen. An easy breezy, go with the flow kinda dish.
- Pick your grain: You can make this salad with brown rice if you would like it to be gluten-free. You can also make it with bulgur (Jen’s preference). Allison used farro and it turned out to be delicious. - Add a little red: The red bell pepper was a suggestion from @hipfoodiemom1 who posted her version of the salad. We agree with her. The red color is a lovely addition. You could certainly add halved cherry or grape tomatoes as well. - Pick a nut: Not into pistachios? Chop up walnuts, pine nuts or almonds. - Add more zing: This salad is a sponge. You might want to add more lemon juice. You do you. One last suggestion…you can easily bulk up this salad with grilled chicken or salmon. The whole idea is that you can make this salad your own! We hope you just try it and enjoy it as much as we do.
• 8.8 oz package of farro (Allison uses the blue package from Trader Joe’s) cooked + cooled • 3 cucumbers diced (Allison uses Persian cucumbers) • 1/2 red onion diced • 1/2 cup parsley chopped • 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped • 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed • 1/2 cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios • 1/2 cup crumbled feta • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3-4 lemon depending on how juicy)
• red bell pepper diced • zest of 2 lemons • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil • kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste * Optional drizzle of a reduced balsamic on top of the finished salad is a delicious move. We love this one!
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix together.
2. Taste and make any adjustments necessary.
3. Enjoy right away or chill in the fridge for flavors to blend for a few hours.
4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.