Laura discovered this recipe on Pinterest years ago and it has been on consistent rotation in her house for dinner ever since! It is simple to make and if you like avocado, garlic, lemon and basil - you are sure to love this healthy "pasta" sauce. Laura's kids love it over whatever their favorite pasta happens to be - currently angel hair, but it would work well on most types of pasta. Be sure to serve with a generous helping of parmesan reggiano on top. This can stand alone for kiddos as a meal or, if grown-ups are eating it as well (yes please!) serve with any meat - it complements chicken or steak perfectly and sliced tomatoes with a little salt and pepper to add some color to the plate. Laura makes this in her mini chop. If you don't have one...you need one!
• 2 ripe avocados, pitted and scooped • 1 handful fresh basil leaves (I roll them up and chiffonade them before adding to mini chop) • 2 cloves garlic • 1 lemon • 12 oz. pasta of your choice - we use angel hair or spaghetti • 1/4 tsp kosher salt • 1/4 cup EVOO • Parmesan Reggiano for garnish
1. Add the two cloves of garlic to mini chop and blend. I like to do the garlic first and alone - as once the avocado is added the sauce will get a bit thick.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. I scoop the avocado out of the skins right into the mini chop with a spoon, then add in all the rest of the ingredients.
3. Combine in mini chop until a smooth and thicker sauce forms. There may still be a few avocado chunks, and that is ok.
4. Add sauce to a tupperware or bowl and cover until ready to serve. This can be prepared earlier in the day and stored in fridge.
5. Boil water and cook pasta. Add pasta to bowls and add a few spoonfuls of sauce, followed by a sprinkle of parm.
6. Leftovers can be used the next day for lunch or dinner...but sauce will only keep for a few days covered in the fridge.
*Recipe by The Comfort of Cooking